Wednesday, May 8, 2013

How to choose your gear ?

Very often I receive questions like:
” I go for trekking/hiking/seeing X, should I take tent/ mate/ stove what kind of…?”

There is very easy solution to those questions.
Rule which helped me a lot not only with touring.

Take the best.
If the best is too expensive choose the cheapest one witch solves your problem.

Above applies to everything.
For example when choosing mat/mattress the most important thing is to choose comfortable one.
In my opinion currently the best are thermarest mattresses.
They weight approximately 0.5 kilo.
They are expensive
If this is too expensive for you – take the cheapest one.

There is little difference with choosing tent.
Tent depends of type of activity you are planning.
If you are planning to go by car – the best is Decathlon’s quechua.
Look at AIR models.
Above is useless when trekking –
for trekking apply the rule as with mattress.

While choosing stove, in my opinion Jetboil is the best (or new Primus models).
But when are you planning end of the world trip – you need muti-fuel.

At the end standard question:
”Should I take tarp or tent ?”
If you are planning holidays – not survival – take tent.
In raining condition – you will be dry, and there will be no bugs in your sleeping bag.

Picture for holidays – ( Poland 2008 )

2008-06-28 20-38-19_j_Piaseczno_thumb[2]

No comments:

Post a Comment